Friday, June 27, 2008

Offside!

Exciting News!

Last night, Pepper and I put down our first payment towards our 2009 Real Salt Lake season tickets! It’s so fun to hand over hundreds of dollars and have nothing to show for it! Even so, I am very excited. We are up one row from where we are now, but the seats at the new stadium are closer to the field. So all in all, it’s a better seat...for half again as much...

Anyway, on to the rest of the league…

Colorado Rapids @ Columbus Crew
Colorado are right in their traditional form of not winning games. Columbus are still trying to hold their place among the East. I don’t know how long it has been since Colorado won. Too long. Columbus, however, managed to tie LA last weekend. Right now, that is an impressive feat. I give this game to Columbus. They are home and Colorado are stinky.

Toronto FC @ New England Revolution
This is the only game of the weekend that involves two teams from the same conference. Toronto were home last weekend with Kansas City visiting. I thought it would be an easy victory for them. New England were visiting RSL. I thought we would be lucky to hold them to a tie. I was so wrong, on both counts. Toronto is nearly unbeatable at home, but New England are good wherever they play. I think New England wins this match. Especially because most of their starters that were out last weekend, should be back this one.

Real Salt Lake @ Kansas City Wizards
KC were impressive to hold Toronto to a tie at home and leave BMO with one point. Real Salt Lake were even more impressive to win league-leading New England at home. I want so badly for Real to win, it could mean first place in the west for them if they do. But I’m afraid that in their usual form they will screw up and I will be furious and we’ll go right back to #13 in the power rankings.

San Jose Earthquakes @ Chicago Fire
San Jose’s first home game of the season, they played host to Chicago. At that point, they were looking measly at best, and yet managed to keep Chicago from scoring more than once. Chicago lost to both Chivas and Dallas last week. I would not have thought that possible earlier in the season. Even so, I think Chicago will take this game.

New York Red Bulls @ Chivas USA
New York and Chivas both managed a good week last week. New York tied the Revs in midweek and then won at Dallas on Saturday. Chivas won at home against Chicago. Chivas is still a team to be reckoned with, despite their poor start to the season and their mile-long injury list. I think it will be a good game, but I think Chivas will win it.

Los Angeles Galaxy @ DC United
Sunday’s lone game should be very interesting. DC are not the top team in the East in points, but they are making major strides. LA are sitting at top, but I hope they lose. They only managed a tie last weekend, while DC beat San Jose (which in mind is like a tie). This game is incredibly difficult to call, so I default to the home side.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

If RSL plays as well against KC as they did against NE, we could very well not lose.

I would love LA to lose.