Friday, May 23, 2008

There's no one here but me

I have a sort of routine. Whenever I buy a new CD, I put it in my car and listen to it as I drive. It usually takes me about two drives home from work before I’ve been through the whole thing. Then I listen to it again and maybe even a third time. Usually by the third listen I have determined what my favorite song is on the CD.

Once I have that figured out, I listen to that song on repeat until I get all the words down. Then I feel guilty that I haven’t given enough attention to all the other songs on the CD, so I go back to listening to the entire CD. Except sometimes, I still repeat my favorite song a second or third time.

I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember. I realized it again when I bought the new Augustana CD Can’t Love, Can’t Hurt. For anyone who is wondering, this CD is awesome. I would totally recommend you run out to your local music store or jump on your computer and purchase it. It’s beautiful.

When I bought the CD, I only knew one song: “Sweet and Low”. I had heard it on the radio and bought it from iTunes back in early March, so I already had it memorized. I put the CD in and listened until I caught track 4. It is called “Twenty”. I have listened to it about 60 times. I love it a lot. I’m already back to listening to the whole CD. It’s been in my car CD player for about two weeks. But almost every time I pass track 4, I skip back to it again.

Just another one of those quirky things I do. One day I think I will make a CD of about twenty such songs. It will be easy to determine them. They all have about 30 more listens on iTunes than the rest of the songs.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

I do love that Augustana CD.

I'm enjoying my Gavin Degraw one.