Thursday, May 1, 2008

Soccer

The useless MLS predictions will be coming a day early this week. That just means I also get to make a prediction about tonight’s game. I, frankly, have no idea what is going on in the league right now. Everyone is so all over the place in wins and losses, I cannot figure it out. Luckily, the season is still young and there are plenty of chances for the odds to even out.

Here it goes!

New York Red Bulls at Toronto FC
Tonight’s game is at Toronto at BMO field. I think everyone who has ever seen an MLS game knows what a nightmare it is to play there. Toronto managed a win in their last two contests at home, and it looks to me like they will keep up the momentum. I’m giving this match to Toronto.

Chicago Fire at New England Revolution
Chicago has only lost one match so far this season. New England can’t seem to decide whether they are winners or losers. I’m hoping that Saturday night they will decide to be winners and put out the Fire. Three points to New England.

Kansas City Wizards at Columbus Crew
Kansas City were doing so well and then they lost to Toronto. Columbus have been kind of shocking everyone so far by not only winning, but winning against good teams. There is a chance this match could end in a tie, but I think because Columbus has a home advantage, they will walk away with the victory.

Chivas USA at Houston Dynamo
What’s with Chivas this season? They lost to LA? They lost to LA 5-2?!?! That being said; what’s with Houston this season? They are the only team who have yet to win a match. I know that Houston are at home, but I’m inclined to think that Chivas, despite the disgusting loss to LA, are still the better bet.

Los Angeles Galaxy at Real Salt Lake
When I saw the score from the LA-Chivas game I was shocked. For anyone who does not know, LA beat Chivas 5-2, Landon Donovan had a hat trick. It’s safe to say that Donovan is on fire right now. I’m worried about our boys in red. They are coming off a win in non-league play at home against San Jose. I’m hoping that victory gives everyone a bit of confidence. The Galaxy are having little trouble scoring goals this season and I think the key to beating them is to score a lot of goals and not allow them to score any. I realize that’s about the most obvious thing to say, but let me explain. LA’s defense has been sorely lacking lately. They have only managed a shut-out against San Jose. In every other game this season, they have allowed multiple goals. Their offense has been forced to do all the work. RSL’s defense has been pretty solid this season, they just can’t seem to finish. We just need to create a chance, follow-through, and then do what we’ve been doing well so far-defend. If we can do that (for the full time) RSL will take all three points. I’m relying on them to do so.

FC Dallas at San Jose Earthquakes
Dallas ended their unbeaten streak last Thursday with a loss at New England. San Jose are going to be very tired for their match this weekend. They only have like 17 men on their roster (how can they play reserves games?) and two of them ran into each other on Wednesday night. I’m picking Dallas.

DC United at Colorado Rapids
DC used a couple of questionable (in my mind) calls for PKs last weekend to beat RSL 4-1. Colorado lost to Chicago. Colorado is about as inconsistent as they come. One week they shock you by beating someone like New England in an away game and the next they lose to San Jose at home. DC looks like they might be ready to start playing soccer again. I think this is going to be a good match because both of these teams are in line for a win. I’m going to go the other way and say that the home team takes the win.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

Hey-I figured out who's playing tonight, its Toronto.

You used a bloody pun.

Good predictions.