Monday, March 24, 2008

Come on in, the water's fine!

I love water. It is my favorite of the elements. I love to drink water, to listen to it, to watch it, but most of all; I love to swim in it. That was not always the case. When mom took me to my first swimming lesson I was terrified. The way the water moved against me freaked me out. I was sure it was going to push me over.

It only took a little coaxing; however, and assurances that water moved that way, before I was out as deep as they would let me go. I took a couple years of swimming lessons. I learned the basics, jumping off the diving board, the freehand stroke, etc. Most of my swimming comes from my cousin Yevin or from my dad.

Yevin taught me the swimmer’s start and the turn around when they’ve completed a lap (I can’t remember how to turn around anymore). He taught me to dive. He taught me to swim underwater without plugging my nose. Dad taught me to swim using my legs mostly, to float on my back, and to snorkel.

I love to snorkel. I prefer swimming in lakes for this reason. Lakes are not crowded. You don’t have to fight fifty other people for the same cubic foot of water space. You are free to swim as far as you like with only the piranhas to worry about.

I can swim pretty much anywhere, the deeper the better. I’m an excellent treader-of-water. I love to put on my fins, mask and snorkel and swim out as far as I can and then swim back. Then I collapse on the dock/shore/etc. and pant until I am ready for another go.

Unfortunately most of my siblings don’t share my love of swimming. Oh sure, they like to go to the pool, but only if it’s warm. My little brother loves to swim about as much as I do, but he’s not quite up to my level. It was also difficult as a kid. Most of my friends would swim for an hour maybe two and be done. I wanted to swim all day. I didn’t care where; I wanted to be in the water.

And it hasn’t gotten any better as I’ve gotten older. I like to walk in the water. I like to swim in it. I like to canoe. I wear Tevas on purpose when hiking so that if I encounter water, I can get in it. I’m pretty good at skipping rocks (the secret is to be as close to the surface of the water as possible).

So, summer is my favorite season because of that too. The activities that are generally associated with summer are my favorite things to do. I’m ready.

No comments: