Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Soccer is the world's favorite sport

So, last night was the “Kickoff Cup” for Real Salt Lake at Skyline High School. (?) We were a little late due to my idiocy in not thinking of taking the I-215. Sorry about that, Gabby. The weather was alright when we first arrived, but it quickly got chilly and windy. Thankfully, it was not raining. I was not prepared for that. We did have to huddle down through most of the second half. I don’t know how the fans of European soccer deal with the weather through their entire season.

Anyway, the starting lineup was announced and we were still looking for a seat. I did catch that we started Kyle Reynish in goal (though I would have known him anyway). Dema Kovalenko was also on the field as was Alex Nimo. I have not seen either of them play for RSL before. Pretty much the only other person on the field that I recognized was Kenny Cutler. Why is he still around?

We settled on some front row seats near the center of the field only to find Leo standing directly in front of us and obstructing our view. We got up and went to the north end of the bleachers and settled towards the back.

The game was actually kind of boring. Kovalenko scored around the 20th minute. It was a lovely shot. Cheering and then pretty much nothing happened again until he scored again about fifty minutes later. Movsisyan scored the third of the game not too long after. Even more reason to love Movsisyan, not that we need any. The game ended on that score. RSL won 3-0.

I think the low point was when the Lobos Girls (I don’t know if that’s what they are called, but that is what we will call them) got up to dance at half-time. I’m not sure what they were doing, but I, a self-confessed terrible dancer, could have choreographed a better dance than what they subjected us to. Thankfully, their dance was only about one minute long, but then when they decided to throw out T-shirts and do some additional dancing; they played the same Black Eyed Peas song again. I think they only had that one minute clip of the song, so they played it over and over. It was annoying.
So help me if RSL gets “cheerleaders” when we move to the new stadium, I will boycott them. I can figure out when to yell for my team. If I couldn’t I still wouldn’t want some idiots telling me when to do it.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

Well, there goes my dream of becoming a Lobos girl.