Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Glabrous

So, I’m sitting here trying to think of something to write about. I’m looking in the direction of my word of the day calendar for inspiration. Today’s word is glabrous (the “a” is pronounced like the “o” in “odd” and the “ous” is pronounced like “us”).

Glabrous means smooth; especially having a surface without hairs or projections. It’s generally used medically to refer to skin that has never had hair (like the palms), but it can also be applied to bald areas.

This, strangely enough, got me thinking about comb-overs. Now, I’m not bald, nor does it look like genetically I will ever be bald, so I cannot speak from experience. Personally, I would rather shave my head than have a comb-over. What is it about men that they think they are fooling the world by combing a longer section of their hair over the area that is glabrous? And ladies, what are you doing letting your husband/boyfriend/distant friend walk around with a comb-over? You look just as ridiculous as he does! You are the accessory to a crime!

So, this blog entry, random as it may seem, is a cry to the men and women out there to please, please stop comb-overs for good! Because believe me, none of us are fooled. Just shave off your hair and then everyone will think you are a bad-@$$ (like me!) for having a shaved head. Believe me. Look at the voluntarily bald men out there: Matt Reis (awesome Keeper for New England), Vin Diesel (grrrr!), Jason Statham (Handsome Rob), Bruce Willis (Yippee-Ki-Yay, Mr. Falcon) and more basketball players than I can name.

You’ll be better off…we all will.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

A Vin Diesel reference? Wow-he would not be one that jumped to my brain immediately!
I miss Mr. Falcon.