Thursday, April 3, 2008

I am addicted to sugar...

... and in the grand tradition of children who can’t take responsibility for their own actions; I blame my parents. We grew up in a very sugar-saturated household. Our breakfast cereals were never Raisin Bran or Corn Flakes. No, we had Cocoa Puffs, Trix, Froot Loops, etc.

Mom had a candy drawer and there was always candy in it. Every major holiday we celebrated with candy. My friends used to love to come to my house because we had the best cereal and the candy dish always had something in it. We also had a ready supply of soda.

At the beginning of this week, I decided I was going to go the entire week leading up to Saturday’s race without chocolate. That may not sound like much to you people out there, but it is a lot for me. I have chocolate pretty much every single day. We still have a ready supply at home from Easter. I have a bag of M&M’s in my desk drawer. Chocolate is an essential part of my life. I also tried to extend this to sugar. It’s difficult to do.

Last night I could tell my body is going through severe detox. I got home and I felt extremely tired. The last thing I wanted to do was run. And those chocolate chip cookies my sister made the other night; they were looking so delicious.

I am trying so hard to be strong. And now I wonder, should I try and go longer without chocolate? Should I try and make it to the SLC Marathon on April 19th? Should I eat chocolate after this race and then give it up again the week before the SLCM? Am I strong enough to make it to Saturday?
All questions that will be answered Saturday morning, right now all I can tell you is; I would really love a cookie.

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

I want some cookies. Or some chocolate. Or like, ice cream. A brownie. Anything forbidden this week. I think you'd have to give in to the sugar before the 19th, but I encourage you to try.